There are a variety of ways to grow marijuana. Aside from the traditional methods of growing outdoors and indoors, other methods used in agriculture, such as hydroponics, aeroponics, and aquaponics, can also be applied to growing cannabis.
Some of these methods have been around for millennia, and others began in the 20th century. Learn more about the benefits of each of these methods below.
|What is hydroponics? An overview of soilless growing|
|How to grow hydroponic cannabis|
|How to grow marijuana with aeroponics|
|An introduction to growing cannabis with aquaponics|
Hydroponics vs. aeroponics vs. aquaponics for weed: What’s the difference?
|Alternative grow method||Pros||Cons|
|Hydroponics||Can control all aspects of growing process for high-quality weed||Requires lots of resources/utilities; steep learning curve|
|Aeroponics||High success rate for clones; can grow high-quality weed||Requires extra equipment to set up; requires extra utilities|
|Aquaponics||Environmentally friendly; cuts down on use of nutrients||Steep learning curve; requires a lot of equipment|
Read more of Leafly’s guide to growing marijuana
- How to grow weed: Basics of growing marijuana
- 4 stages of marijuana plant growth
- Marijuana plant anatomy
- How to grow weed indoors
- How to grow marijuana outdoors
- Cannabis seeds 101: How to grow marijuana from seed
- How to clone cannabis plants
- Marijuana seedling and plant care
- How to harvest marijuana plants
- Troubleshooting common cannabis plant problems
- Buyer’s guides for cannabis seeds and growing equipment
- How to grow marijuana using hydroponics, aeroponics, or aquaponics