How to make an apple weed pipe
Have you ever been stuck without a pipe or papers? If you’ve got cannabis and a lighter but no way to smoke it, try the time-honored tradition of creating a homemade bowl from an apple.
The apple pipe is a simple solution to not having a pipe, and a better, more natural alternative than using an aluminum can or another makeshift device.
Here are five quick steps to turn an apple into a smoking pipe.
How to make an apple pipe step by step
Step 1: Gather supplies
Before you begin, make sure you have all your supplies together in one place. You’ll want:
- Poking tool, such as a disposable ballpoint pen, knife, key, stick, or screwdriver
- Lighter, to spark your buds
Step 2: Twist off the apple’s stem
This will expose a natural bowl at the top of the apple.
Step 3: Carve out the bowl
We recommend using a ballpoint pen—remove the tip, ink cartridge, and end to get a hollow plastic tube.
Using the hollowed-out ballpoint pen or other poking tool, poke a hole from the top, or bowl, halfway down into the apple.
Step 4: Make the mouthpiece and carb
Poke a second hole straight through the apple, perpendicular to the first hole coming down from the top or bowl. This hole needs to go straight through the first hole, and go in one side of the apple and out the other.
One side of this second hole will function as a mouthpiece to inhale smoke; the other will be a carb, to regulate airflow.
Step 5: Smoke out of your apple pipe
Simply pack some cannabis into the bowl, where the stem used to be, and light it like you would any other pipe.
Other fruits and vegetables that make good cannabis pipes
All kinds of fruits and vegetables can be used to create a weed pipe. You can really use anything, as long as the fruit or vegetable can stand up to having holes punched through it and can withstand the heat from a lighter.
You don’t want anything that’s too wet, squishy, or sticky—basically, anything that will make smoking more trouble than it’s worth. Also, consider the flavor the produce will impart on your cannabis smoke.
Some other fruits and vegetables that make good cannabis pipes:
As with making an apple pipe above, whatever produce you use will need:
- Bowl, for cannabis
- Mouthpiece, to inhale smoke
- Carb (optional), to regulate airflow
Using a hollowed out ballpoint pen or other poking tool, poke two holes through the produce as with creating an apple pipe, pack a bowl, and light up. Get Creative!
Will Hyde and Pat Goggins contributed to this article.
Read more of Leafly’s guide to smoking marijuana
- How to smoke weed
- What’s the difference between joints, blunts, and spliffs?
- What is a pre-roll?
- How to roll a joint
- How to roll a blunt
- How to roll a crutch for your joint or spliff
- What is a cannabis grinder?
- What is a glass weed pipe?
- How to pack and smoke a bowl of weed
- What is a one-hitter pipe?
- How to make an apple pipe
- What is a bong?
- What is a gravity bong and how do you make one?
- How to clean glass bongs and pipes
- What is kief and how can you use it?
- What are moon rocks and how do you smoke them?
- Sploofs 101: How to reduce smell when smoking cannabis
- Need a light? 4 alternatives to using a lighter
- What is hotboxing with cannabis and does it work?