Fly high with this light-as-a-feather chiffon cake bursting with herbaceous carrot and bright citrus notes. It’s pillowy soft and oh-so-luscious—especially when served with a dollop of fresh whipped cream and a pinch of lemon zest.
End your springtime dinner party on a sweet note with this infused dessert. For the medicated vegetable oil, follow this recipe or try your hand at the sous vide method below.
Recipe: Cannabis Infused Carrot Chiffon Cake
Start to finish: 35 minutes (active: 15 minutes)
Yield: 6-8 servings (8” round cake)
Approximate dosage: Approximately 25mg THC for the entire cake*
- 4 large eggs, separated
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- 8 Tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 2 Tbsp carrot juice
- 2 Tbsp orange juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 orange
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp infused vegetable oil (see below for sous vide method)
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- Whipped cream for serving
- Lemon zest for serving
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and lightly grease an 8” round or bundt cake pan with nonstick spray.
- Using a hand mixer, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium-high until soft peaks form. Add 4 Tbsp sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks with 4 Tbsp sugar and salt. The mixture will grow in volume and thicken.
- Once the mixture thickens, add carrot juice, orange juice, vanilla extract, zest of orange and lemon, and medicated vegetable oil and whisk until smooth. The color will be a lovely bright orange.
- Pour the mixture over the beaten egg whites and sprinkle the flour while folding until everything is evenly distributed.
- Pour the finished mixture into the greased pan and tap on the countertop to smooth the top. Bake in the oven until golden brown on the top and a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Add an additional 3-5 minutes if the batter is still wet.
- Let the cake cool before unmolding. It will deflate a little, but don’t worry—it will still be tasty and beautiful. Serve each slice with whipped cream and lemon zest.
Sous Weed Vegetable Oil
Yield: 8 ounces
- 8 oz vegetable oil
- 4-7 g cannabis flower (you can add more or less depending on desired potency)
- Roughly crumble your cannabis flower and decarb to activate the THC.
- Pour oil or fat into a quart-sized freezer-safe zip bag.
- Add decarbed cannabis into the bag of oil. Push the air out and seal the bag.
- Set your sous vide water bath to 85ºC (185ºF).
- Once the sous vide water bath has reached its temp, submerge the bag in the water bath.
- Sous vide for 4 hours. Remove from water bath and strain. Discard the flower and allow the infused oil to cool. Store in a cool dark place.
*Note: The amount of cannabis oil specified in this recipe is a very loose suggestion; the actual amount you use should be modified based on the strength of your cannabis oil and the potency you desire. Dosing homemade edibles can be tricky (click here to learn why), so the best way to test for potency is to start with one portion of a serving, wait one to two hours, then make an informed decision on whether to consume more. Always dose carefully and listen to your body, and never drive under the influence of cannabis or alcohol.