Eggs Benedict is a beautiful cross between fancy brunch fare and classic comfort food. This version brings easy poached eggs, smoked salmon, and heavenly, cannabis-infused Hollandaise sauce together via a process that’s far more streamlined than your typical labor-intensive Benedict recipe.
The poached eggs required for Benedicts often strike fear into the hearts of home cooks, but the procedure we use makes them a breeze. We also skip the usual vinegar or salt in the water, as we get better results without them. Finally, most Hollandaise sauce recipes require a great deal of time and work, but this recipe uses a hand blender, making it quick and easy.
Eggs Benedict With Cannabis-Infused Hollandaise Sauce
Start to finish: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Approximate dosage: 20mg per serving*
For the Benedicts
- 4 English muffins, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- 9 ounces (250 grams) smoked salmon, thinly sliced
- 8 fresh eggs
- 4 ramekins
- 1 large Dutch oven
- Place the ramekins in the bottom of a Dutch oven. Fill with enough water to cover the tops of the ramekins by about one inch.
- Place the pot on the stove and bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce the heat to low.
- Crack an egg into a small bowl. Gently tip the egg from bowl into one of the ramekins. Repeat for the remaining ramekins.
- After three to four minutes, remove the eggs in the order they were added to the water using a slotted spoon. Place in a deep bowl of lukewarm water. Repeat the process for the remaining eggs.
For the Hollandaise
- 1 cup cannabutter
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small saucepan, melt the cannabutter over high heat, stirring constantly to make sure it does not burn. Remove from heat.
- Combine the egg yolks, water, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt in a container just wide enough to fit the end of a hand blender (such as a Mason jar).
- Place the hand blender into the bottom of the container and begin blending. With the blender running, pour in the melted cannabutter in a steady stream. The heat from the melted butter will cook the egg yolks and produce a creamy sauce.
- Once puréed, taste the sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toast English muffins and distribute onto four plates. Top each half with smoked salmon.
- Put one poached egg on each muffin half.
- Top with the Hollandaise sauce. Sprinkle with chives and enjoy!
This recipe was developed in partnership with Tilray. Tilray and Leafly are both owned by Privateer Holdings.
*Note: The amount of cannabutter specified in this recipe is a very loose suggestion; the actual amount you use should be modified based on the strength of your butter and the potency you desire. Dosing homemade edibles can be tricky (click here to learn why), so the best way to test for potency is to start with one portion of a serving, wait one to two hours, then make an informed decision on whether to consume more. Always dose carefully and listen to your body, and never drive under the influence of cannabis.