Sylvia Plath wasn’t wrong when she said, “There must be quite a few things that a hot bath won’t cure, but I don’t know many of them.” And what could possibly make this already soothing activity even more relaxing? A little help from THC or CBD in the form of a colorful bath bomb!
It’s no secret that bath bombs have been a hot commodity for some time now—these palm-sized fizzies come in a variety of shapes and colors while boasting excellent skin benefits. Pairing those benefits with the added body-relaxing effects provided by cannabis can lead to the ease of tension, reduced inflammation, and overall tranquility.
Whether you’ve been on your feet all day and your body is aching, or you’re simply looking for an excellent way to enjoy a lazy afternoon, below we show you how to make the perfect cannabis-infused bath bomb.
Note: Cannabis-infused topicals will not get you high. Click here to learn why.
How to Make Your Own Cannabis Bath Bombs
Start to finish: 3+ hours (active: 15 minutes)
Yields: 1 bath bomb
- Bath bomb molds (we love these ones from Amazon)
- 4 ounces baking soda
- 2 ounces corn starch
- 2 ounces citric acid
- 2 ounces epsom salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon essential oil
- ¼ teaspoon THC or CBD infused coconut oil or tincture
- 1–2 drops food coloring or mica color powder
- Combine all dry ingredients (except color) in a bowl. Whisk until evenly mixed.
- Combine all wet ingredients (except color) in a small glass vessel (a shot glass works perfectly).
- Very slowly, stir the liquid mixture into the dry mixture, whisking as you go. If you see lots of fizzing, you’re going too fast. If you’re using food drops for coloring, add them now.
- After all ingredients are evenly combined, the mixture should feel like damp sand. To test it out, put a small amount in your hand and squeeze. It should stick together in 1–2 big chunks once you release your hand. Add a few more drops of water if it doesn’t. Once you reach the desired consistency, mix in the color powder (if using).
- Fill each half of your mold with the mixture until it is a little over-filled, but don’t pack too densely. Loosely sprinkle some more of the mixture on each half (this helps the two sides meld).
- Press the halves together firmly and hold for a few seconds. Gently remove one side of the mold.
- Place the bath bomb mold side down and allow to dry for about 20 minutes. Carefully remove the other side of the mold in a gentle twisting motion. (Pro tip: Bath bombs can fall apart very easily, but you can remold one side or re-mix the whole ball and start over if you need to.)
- Let sit for a few hours (or preferably overnight) until bath bomb is totally firm, then enjoy a soothing cannabis-infused bath and let your stress melt away!