Decarboxylation 101: How to decarb in a mason jar
There are a few benefits to the mason jar method over decarboxylating on a baking sheet in the oven.
For starters, decarbing in a mason jar significantly minimizes strong cannabis odours. Another benefit concerns the terpenes that evaporate in the process; they will stick to the glass of the jar and if you use the same jar for your infusion, you can preserve them. Finally, there is no direct contact with the air in the oven, and it is less likely that you will burn any of your cannabis during the heating process.
- Mason jar with lid
- Baking tray
- Kitchen towel
- Oven gloves
- Set your oven between 220 and 240 degrees Fahrenheit and place the oven rack in the middle position.
- Break up the cannabis until it’s about the size of a grain of rice, put it into the mason jar and lightly screw on the lid.
- Lightly wet the kitchen towel and lay it over the baking sheet then put the mason jar on the towel. The damp towel will help anchor the jar to the baking sheet and keep it from falling over.
- Place the baking tray in the oven and bake for 60 minutes. Every 15 minutes, carefully remove the mason jar from the oven with the oven gloves and give it a shake to disperse the cannabis evenly.
- After 60 minutes, remove the jar from the oven, and let cool for 30 minutes before storing or using it for cooking.