There is a lot you don’t know about me, but for starters, you should know that I have an insatiable fruity candy lust that is rivaled only by my lusty feelings about cannabis.
This inclination toward fruity candy certainly stems from the lack of fruit in my diet and my body’s natural craving for colorful, fruit-flavored treats. Wanting to curb my dependence on refined sugar, I took my fierce passion into my own hands and sought out different cannabis-infused gummy candy recipes to sate my appetite.
Of all the weed gummy candies, gummy bears are among the most beloved. But unlike the ones at your typical grocery store candy aisle, you may be challenged when trying to find cannabis-infused gummies in your local dispensary, as many states have banned them due to the presumption that they target children.
In order to skirt this ban on gummies, I’ve adapted this rather health-oriented recipe to give you a boost of energy (offered by green tea-derived caffeine) while incorporating the calming, wellness-driven effects of a CBD and THC tincture.
Note that you can easily modify the recipe below to make THC-infused weed gummy bears; simply choose a THC-dominant tincture. You can also modify the flavors used based on your personal preferences, or omit the caffeine by using herbal rather than green tea.
Our recipe was adapted from this recipe by Mona Zavosh for Glow.
Assessing the potency of your weed gummies
The below recipe calls for using a tincture that is 5:1 CBD to THC. You can use a tincture that is all THC or all CBD for your weed gummy bears depending on your preference.
To calculate how much tincture you’ll need, figure out a serving size—the recipe below uses Green Revolution’s 300mg CBD Tincture, in which 1 oz is 300mg (25omg CBD, 50mg THC). Divide the total milligrams in your tincture by 50 (the number of gummy bears the recipe makes) to calculate the approximate dosage of each bear: 300mg divided by 50 bears is 6mg a bear.
For more information on dosing and consuming edibles, check out our Cannabis edibles dosage chart.
Recipe: Cherry and green tea weed gummy bears
Start to finish: 45 minutes (active: 30 minutes)
Yields: 50 gummy bears
Approximate dosage: 5mg CBD and 1mg THC per gummy bear*
*Note: Potency may vary widely depending on your tincture.
- Food-grade condiment bottle
- Food-grade silicone gummy bear molds
- Measuring cup
- 1 oz CBD tincture (I used Green Revolution’s 300mg CBD Tincture)
- ½ cup coconut water
- 2 green tea bags
- 3 tablespoons creamed honey
- ¾ cup tart cherry juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons gelatin or agar-agar powder
- ⅛ teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- Pour coconut water into small saucepan. Bring to boil, then steep green tea bags in coconut water for up to 10 minutes (but no less than 4 minutes). Compost tea bags.
- Add cherry juice, salt, and creamed honey to saucepan. Stir gently until mixture is homogenous. Return mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer.
- Add gelatin or agar-agar powder and whisk constantly for 3–4 minutes. (Note: The texture of agar-agar can be unsatisfying for folks used to the gelatin-based gummy bears.)
- Add your desired dosage of CBD tincture (alcohol, coconut oil, or glycerin tinctures are all fine) and whisk thoroughly until fully incorporated.
- Turn off stovetop and place funnel in condiment bottle.
- Transfer gummy bear liquid to condiment bottle. Be careful! This liquid is crazy hot and you will need to work quickly.
- Using oven mitt or hot pad, hold bottle and squeeze liquid into gummy bear mold.
- Transfer mold to refrigerator and let set for 15 minutes.
- Remove bears from tray and store in airtight container.
- Enjoy one or two at a time in 30 minute intervals until desired dosage is reached.
This post was originally published on June 7, 2017. It was most recently updated on April 16, 2020.