Camping is a unique sensory experience, incorporating the smells and sounds of the campfire, the rustle of breeze in the trees, and the sight of new and wild terrain around every turn. There’s only one way to make it all better—by heightening your senses with your favorite cannabinoids.
Sure, you can bring a malleable silicone bong or your favorite pre-roll along for the ride, but for those seeking less traditional ways to incorporate cannabis into a camping trip, we give you an even better option: infused camping meals. The following breakfast, dinner, and dessert will awaken all five senses to the beauty of the great outdoors around you and turn your standard campfire fare into easily infused camping meals.
One-Pan Breakfast Hash
This infused hash combines rustic ingredients with cannabis cooking oil for a camping wake and bake breakfast that’s the perfect way to set the mood for your day. The delectable dish is super-easy to cook using only a single pan and a hot fire.
- 5 large potatoes, peeled
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 4 eggs (if you’re backpacking, bring these pre-scrambled in a clean bottle)
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons standard olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cannabis-infused olive oil*
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetarian breakfast sausage, chopped (optional)
- Cut the potatoes into half-inch wedges.
- Heat the non-infused olive oil in a frying pan or Dutch oven over medium heat and add the potatoes. Cover the pan and cook for 20–25 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so. About halfway through, add chopped sausage (if using).
- Add the chopped white onion, leave uncovered, and cook for an additional 10 minutes, stirring consistently. When potatoes are crisp and have reached a golden brown color, add the green onions, a pinch of paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Now it’s time for the eggs. Create four pockets in the mixture, crack an egg into each hole, and drizzle the infused olive oil over the entire dish. Cook until the egg whites have set, then sprinkle cheddar cheese over everything. Stir the hash vigorously to ensure the infused oil has been evenly distributed throughout.
- Finish with a pinch of paprika, stir once more, and serve!
Pro Tip: For quicker prep, pre-chop your veggies at home and add seasonings before you hit the road.
Fire-Roasted Sweet Potatoes
These fire-roasted sweet potatoes are easy to cook and a perfect dish to complement fresh river trout or other camping catches. They can be seasoned in any way you desire—savory, sweet, or both—and are highly nutritious, making them the perfect post-hiking delicacy. Bonus: Since they’re cooked over coals in aluminum foil, cleanup is ultra-easy.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, washed
- 1–2 tablespoons of cannabutter*
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Your choice of additional spices (suggested: garlic powder, chili powder, brown sugar)
- Take two clean sweet potatoes and pierce in several places with a fork, then wrap tightly in heavy-duty aluminum foil. Place foil-wrapped potatoes on fire pit coals and allow to cook for 60 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Remove and check to make sure the potatoes are soft throughout. (If not, place back in fire for another 10–20 mins.) When done, unwrap potato and cut in half.
- Add desired dosage of cannabutter and seasonings to taste. Close the potato and allow the butter and spices to melt into it for a minute.
- Serve and enjoy!
What camping trip would be complete without s’mores for dessert? With crunchy graham crackers, gooey marshmallow, and rich chocolate, this is a classic nearly synonymous with campfires. It’s also effortless to add a cannabis twist by combining those beloved ingredients with delicious cannabis chocolate. Don’t forget a roasting stick!
- Graham crackers
- Large marshmallows
- Dark cannabis-infused chocolate bar
- Place desired dose of cannabis chocolate on top of one half of a graham cracker.
- Toast marshmallow over flames until the inside has softened and become gooey. Slide marshmallow on top of the chocolate.
- Top with a second graham cracker and let sit several seconds to ensure chocolate has melted. Then enjoy!
Pro tip: By switching off cannabis chocolate and non-medicated chocolate, you can enjoy multiple s’mores while still adhering to your desired dose.
*Note: The amounts of cannabis oil and cannabutter specified in these recipes are very loose suggestions; the actual amounts you use should be modified based on the strength of your cannabis oil or butter and the potency you desire. Dosing homemade edibles can be tricky (click here to learn why), so the best way to test for potency is to start with one portion of a serving, wait one to two hours, then make an informed decision on whether to consume more. Always dose carefully and listen to your body, and never drive under the influence of cannabis.